This course invites the cultivation of one’s internal resources in order to build capacity for solidarity and community-­oriented action. In the face of growing concerns around stress, trauma, and mental health on and off-campus, this class offers a framework to guide self-­care as a “radical act of resistance to disconnection, marginalization and internalized oppression” (Healing Justice, Loretta Pyles). Through experiential methodologies of self-­leadership and mind-­body practices, students are encouraged to discover and flex those internal self-­healing resources that enhance resilience, foster psycho-­emotional health, and affirm cultural dignity.  2 units.  Enrollment for Oakes students or by permission code. 

Student Testimonials

“I can say that everything I learned from my journey in Oakes 47 can fall under these two general umbrellas.  One would be the new techniques I learned to heal the self. The value in learning this is the life lasting internal resources I have gained to deal with any life obstacles I may or may not foresee in my future. The other is how self care can be part of social justice and community building.”

“Through the principles of personal leadership, I learned to build inner sanctuary in the most difficult times (…) This class taught me to be grateful for these circumstances because challenging moments are opportunities for learning. I developed my personal leadership skills for the most critical moments.” 

“For various reasons, I have come to realize how important it is to “show up.” (…) Being able to recognize your place in the world is both powerful and scary as a result of your presence on this earth. I think that this course came in handy in time of need– this quarter called for personal leadership. I realized how awareness plays a major part in practicing self leadership. There was a change in how I think about the world.”